Monday, September 14, 2015

Why I Gave Up Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches Forever


It all seemed so innocent.  My love affair with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches began in grade school and continued through my adult life.  It's all over now.  No more whole grain bread, no more peanut butter and no more jelly.  They're out of my house for good.  Why?  It turns out my body is allergic to all three.  The seductive organic label on the jelly was a marketing ploy to sucker me in and it turns out peanut butter isn't even a nut – it's a legume.  This is so scandalous.  I was loyal but my number one food companions were conspiring with my inner self to take me down and the plan would have sent me to an early grave if my family hadn't intervened armed with a blood pressure monitor during my vacation.  One more point higher and mama was going to drive me to urgent care.  It was that serious.

I'm in recovery now.  My blood pressure reading this morning is down to 114/77 – that's 35% below my danger zone without any medication.  The plot thickens.  I'm learning there were other co-conspirators who contributed to my demise.  Stay tuned.  I'll share more in future stories about the changes I'm making to rejuvenate.  Have a great day.

No comments: