Saturday, January 2, 2016

How to Increase Your Awareness Regarding Food Choices


One of my sisters asked me an important question the other day during a phone conversation.  She asked, "if you knew your food choices were unhealthy, why did you keep making bad choices for so long?"

There was a time in my life when I drank Mountain Dew like it was water.  Looking back at my old life I clearly see all my food mistakes.  I thought about her question and replied, "Bad habits.  It was easy to satisfy my food cravings by eating the same way over and over.  I suppose I was addicted."

It's really tough to break a food addiction.  Millions of people in our country aren't even aware how bad their situation is.  If you are always hungry or your food cravings are out of control, you are a food addict.  If you try to quit, your brain will do anything to stop you from breaking free.  It's not going to be easy.  If you're still not sure you have an addiction problem ask yourself, do I really know what's in all the food I'm eating?  Read the fine print on the label.  The foods you desire most are probably the ones with high amounts of sugar, salt and fat content.   There are 15 Teaspoons of sugar in a 20 ounce can of Mountain Dew.  I often drank two at a time without ever thinking about how bad it was for my health.  Addictions are powerful.  Awareness that you are addicted is the first step to healing.  It's not easy.  You will be in the fight of your life.  This fight is for your life.  Take the first step.  You can do this.

If you are serious about breaking your food addiction, click here and check out a new food game I started for people who want to make changes in the New Year.  It helps to be in a support group.  I hope you consider joining.  Have a great day.

No comments: