Friday, January 29, 2016

Before and After ~ Caveman Update


A silent killer was lurking inside my body at the most inappropriate time when the "before" photo was shot in late August of last year.   It was my first vacation to visit family since I relocated to Iowa nearly four years ago.  I called it a celebration of life tour because the first visitor on my list was my sister who told me she was so close to death she could smell the reaper's bad breath while she was in the hospital surrounded by a team of doctors.  She was given a 5% chance of survival.  The doctors couldn't figure out what was killing her and her clock was already in overtime.  She spent over two weeks in intensive care.  I showed up shortly after her release.  The last thing my family needed was another health scare.  Boo!  Big brother discovered he had three strikes against him on day one of the celebration of life tour.  How ironic.  That's when this caveman made a decision to try a 45 day food experiment initiated by my cousin John.

The "after" picture was shot at the beginning of my "friends and family tour."  What a difference five months makes.  I'm 34 pounds lighter and feel better than ever.  My tennis coach from Glendale Community College told me I'm running and hitting the same way I did when I played on his team over 35 years ago.  But that's not the whole story.  For me,  the biggest thrill in my life is sharing my success story with others and watching them go through the same changes.  My mother lost four pounds while I was visiting at her home for ten days.  Others are reporting amazing results.

If you know someone who is struggling with obesity, high cholesterol or high blood pressure, please share today's story.  My cousin, a doctor who has a passion for solving mysteries like the one that was silently killing me, told me it's our relationship with processed foods that's making us so sick.  I'm done with processed foods and anything that has a label on the package.  From now on I'm eating mainly fruits, veggies and nuts.  That's my caveman update.  Have a great day.

No comments: