Saturday, August 31, 2024

Another Night of Blue Zone Sleep

My sleep goal is simple – secure a 'blue zone' score in every category as measured by my smart watch.  If you're struggling to get things done during the day, take a look at how you're sleeping.  The sleep score factors are sleep time, physical recovery, restfulness, mental recovery, and sleep cycles.  Last night I managed to be in the blue zone in every category reaching the excellent range with a score of 86.  My body appears to be okay on the low end of the recommended sleep range.  When I fall into the 'red zone' it's usually because I woke up before getting the minimum of seven hours of sleep.  Another area of weakness for me is restfulness.  If you are up more than 10% of the night you will find yourself in the red zone in this category.

Anxiety plays a role regarding the quality of your sleep.  By measuring your sleep quality nightly, you can determine how anxiety is hurting you and make minor adjustments to minimize its effects.  Ask your physician about ashwagandha, an evergreen shrub that grows in Asia and Africa.   I started out with half of the recommended serving size about a year ago before I bought my smart watch.  This plant is a popular ancient remedy for reducing stress and enhancing sleep quality.  I plan to increase the dose in a future experiment to see what happens to my sleep score.  Remember to check in with your doctor before you make any changes as these stories are for anecdotal purposes and not meant to be considered as medical advice.  As a sidebar, I would like to insert something from a casual conversation I had with a doctor recently about my food choices.  He said, "well, you're not dead so maybe your choices aren't so bad."  He did seem surprised that I don't take any prescription medicine.  Meanwhile, my experiments will continue as I seek the best ways to sleep in the blue zone.  Have a great day.

No comments: