Monday, December 14, 2020

Why I'm Thankful for 2020

It's almost over.  Many will celebrate the conclusion.  I'm still in the moment.  Yes, it's one day at a time.  Some days are better than others.  So are some years.  For me, each day matters.  Each year matters.  They are like building blocks.  The one thing that stands out most is my attitude.  It is one of gratitude.  If I were to erase this year just because it was filled with so much heartbreak I would lose the lessons, the triumphs, and building blocks necessary for the years to come.  If anything, my sense of gratitude is only greater after facing a year like 2020.

I can hear the naysayers complaining about this year.  They don't represent the people I encountered who faced enough trouble to make a grown man cry.  I'm referring to those who lost everything in the derecho, a land hurricane that wiped out crops, buildings, and dreams.  In spite of these losses, these people told me how thankful they are for what they have and for their loved ones.  Others told me about losing loved ones to COVID-19.  That's about as difficult as it gets.  These people talked about love, not a loss.  They talked about gratitude for all the great years.  These people inspire me.  I will do my best to live my life to the fullest, one day at a time.  How about you?  Have a great day.

No comments: