Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Something Borrowed

Please forgive me for my philosophical tendencies today.  Perhaps it's thoughts of this year and everything that happened that are persuading me to share.  Reality and imagination are separated by a razor-thin line. There are times when my perceptions of the world are challenging to interpret, like those days here in my home state when we are in a blizzard and I'm doing my best to find my way home in near white-out conditions.  According to today's forecast, we have a major storm front arriving by midday and we will soon be blanketed by up to a foot of snow.  Although I hate to admit it, on days like this, there is an unwanted occupant in my SUV.  No words are necessary when we're together.  I can read his mind and he can do the same, especially when the road conditions are hazardous.  His name is Fear.  

I'm sharing my most recent conversation with Snow Devil, the nickname I'm giving my hitchhiker companion because that's usually when he shows up in my life just like Frosty the Snowman, SD's much kinder and gentler cousin.  Snow Devil taught me that my last vehicle, as much as I cherished it, was something borrowed.  Even though there was no lien on the title and I supposedly owned it free in clear, I lost the vehicle in an unfortunate accident on an icy road in poor driving weather.  It was borrowed.  The truth is, everything in our lives is merely borrowed.  Snow Devil is right.  Even our own lives and our children's lives are all borrowed.  All we can do is live for the day and enjoy all the "borrowed" things in our lives.  Deep down, I really do wish Snow Devil would find a new ride-share buddy and that he could somehow be returned to wherever he comes from just like a library book that is borrowed for a finite time.  

I'm learning not to hold on too tightly to borrowed things.  Letting go is often the best option.  My focus is centered on appreciating everything in my life and utilizing borrowed things to the best of my ability.  I have a stack of borrowed books to read and two books to finish writing before my borrowed time on this planet comes to a conclusion.  Snow Devil is trying to stop me but I won't let him no matter what is going on in the world or in my imagination.  Today is a great day to celebrate we made it through one of the most challenging years we have ever seen in modern times.  Have a great day.

No comments: