Sunday, December 6, 2020

Do This When You Want to Improve

Let's say you looked back at all you achieved in this last year and you discovered some areas of your life where you want to improve.  If this hasn't happened already, please don't wait until the new year begins to do this.  The problem with waiting is that you lose the opportunity to properly plan for the next twelve months.  A five-minute review is sufficient.  Once your review is done, the important next step is a commitment to measuring, measuring, and more measuring.  Decide now that you are going to measure every worthwhile goal you are pursuing and don't stop measuring, even when you're blowing it and you're so far away from where you want to be that you consider giving up.  It's the measuring that keeps you in the game.

I believe in daily measuring.  I do this at my day job, at home, and in my free time when I'm doing leisurely activities.  Measuring helps you understand where you are in relation to where you want to go.  A funny thing happened to me when I started measuring my financial goal of total independence from debt.  I made it fun so I would keep trying even though I pretty much floundered on what I created as a golf course complete with monthly scorecards.  The game, "Par for the Course," is measured the same way golfers measure their performance.  The first year was full of mostly bogeys.  This second year is almost entirely pars.  Next year is the final year with the exception of about three or four extra months I need to erase the ugliness from the beginning of the game.  The bottom line is I'm going to be debt-free soon because I'm measuring and holding myself accountable.  This can be applied to multiple areas of your life.  

Make your own scorecards.  Use blank pages to keep track of your daily results.  Post results on a calendar. Pick up a goals journal.  The way you measure is not important.  What's important is that you keep track of your performance.  The steps you take in the next three weeks will go a long way.  Start your preparations now.  Have a great day.

No comments: