Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Your Weekly Guide to a Healthier Food Program


One of the members of our phase II food experiment emailed me yesterday asking for a guide to post on her refrigerator.  I sent her something from "Eat to Live," by Dr. Joel Furhman.  Imagine you're looking at a pyramid.  The base layer is made up of vegetables and represents the foundation of a healthy diet.  You can eat an unlimited amount of half cooked, half raw veggies and not worry about weight gain.  The same is true with the next layer up – fruits, beans and legumes.  This layer has no limits or restrictions either.  Whole grains, raw nuts and seeds make up the third layer and should be limited daily.  The fourth layer, fish and fat free dairy, should only be eaten twice weekly or less.   Poultry, eggs and oils are listed in the fifth layer and should only be eaten once weekly or less.  The smallest layer of the food pyramid is at the top.  This is your beets, sweets, cheese / milk, processed foods and hydrogenated oils.

I prefer to live at the base of the food pyramid and find my body responds well when I stay away from processed foods.  For me, the top of the pyramid is my no fly zone. 

I'm happy to report that one member of the group has already lost four pounds and we're only on day 3 of the experiment.  I'm going to keep posting tips during the experiment to help the group and anyone observing who may wish to give this food program a try.  Have a great day.

No comments: