Sunday, October 4, 2015

Seize the Moment


No matter where you live, there's always an opportunity to seize the moment.  I had one of those experiences yesterday at my day job.  Our local college football team was playing an away game in a neighboring state and we noticed a dramatic slowdown during the game.  We had too many workers and not enough people to serve so I put my hand up and volunteered to leave early.  The rest of my family was celebrating Octoberfest nearby in the downtown area and the weather couldn't have been better.  I deliberately parked my car about a mile away so I could savor the fall colors while I strolled through the streets.

"We're sorry, the lady at the gate told me.  We sold out all of our tickets.  You're welcome to come in but you can't sample the beer."  The gatekeeper had no idea all I wanted to do was join my family and sip on my bottled water.  Beer is not part of my food experiment.  An officer on foot patrol was intrigued I wasn't drinking alcohol and asked me if there was a problem.  I shared my food experiment with him and told him why beer was off limits.  "No more beer belly," I said, slapping my flat stomach.  "That's 22 pounds in one month," I explained.  He nodded in approval and walked away.  My adult children smiled when I told them, "oh, I love teachable moments."

Seize the moment.  Take advantage of every opportunity to enjoy the blessings in front of you.  Have a great day.

No comments: