Saturday, October 24, 2015

It's a Wrap


I discovered something really special in my quest to eat healthier – the lettuce wrap.  It's my substitute for tortillas and hamburger buns.  It works best in a double layer on top and bottom.  The possibilities are endless.  Try it.  You'll love it.

The first time I tried it, I barbecued bison and added cut up tomatoes and avocado on top in place of ketchup and mustard.  Bison is a lean meat that tastes like hamburger.  I didn't miss the bun at all.

For burritos, it's important to heat up the insides first and then add the heated ingredients to a cold, crisp lettuce wrap.  Lettuce tends to shrivel up and lose its sturdiness when heated so keep it out of the microwave and you will have a sturdy shell.  Hold your wrap as shown in the photo above and fold it the long ways with your fingers to make the ultimate burrito.

I hope to see you tomorrow for Day 1 of Phase II in the caveman food experiment.  The goal is to see if the favorable results from the first phase can be duplicated by cutting out processed foods and concentrating on fruits, veggies and nuts.  I promised the group I would share some tips for healthy eating.  It's a wrap for today.  Have a great day.

No comments: