Friday, October 9, 2015

I Think Therefore I Eat Unprocessed Foods


René Descartes, known as the father of modern philosophy, came up with the quote, "I think; therefore I am."  He believed in clearing everything off the table and starting from scratch.  I feel a strong connection to him because that's exactly what I'm doing in a six-week food experiment where all foods are off the supper table with the exception of fruits, veggies and nuts.  Many think I'm nuts about what I'm doing but good ole René would be right there with me urging me to uncover all the food mysteries causing our population to become so sick and so fat.

Everything is so upside down right now in my world and that's exactly how I like it.  My own doctor is against ordering a follow-up blood test so soon since my physical exam last month because my results came back "normal."  I asked the receptionist, "is it possible to get my cholesterol checked on my own if the doctor won't approve this test?"

"I don't think so," she answered, assuring me he would approve the test if I was willing to wait until December.  I decided to dig deeper and I found the perfect solution, a home test kit sold by Amazon for 39.95 with free shipping that includes a complete lipid panel LDL, HDL and Triglycerides.  A certified lab examines my blood and sends me the results within two weeks.  As long as I make sure to fast for twelve hours and follow the instructions properly, I should be able to get all the information I need without involving any red tape dealing with my insurance company.

The experiment ends on October 14.  What doesn't end is my desire to find answers about what was making my body sick and fat.  The one thing that may never be on my table again is processed foods.  Stay tuned for the rest of the story.  Have a great day.

No comments: