Sunday, January 31, 2010

Putting God First

Learning to put God first as I start each day has given me an opportunity to discover where my sailboat is headed. There have been so many times in my life when I thought my life lacked meaning or purpose. I often wondered why the wind was not blowing or if I would survive a particular storm.

Each of us has a specific journey. For some the voyage is short and for others, our boats must sail to places far off. If God is not first in our life, we tend to get lost easily. Even when God is first, the journey may not make much sense.

When God is first in our lives, we will always sail when we are supposed to be sailing, rest when the winds are calm, and pick up passengers at the right time and places. Trust and patience are required.

For me, a daily prayer can help me discern what God asks of me for that particular day.
Putting God first is like filling up the gas tank before a long trip. You can only run on fumes for so long until your vehicle stops. By keeping the gas tank full, you will eventually travel far enough to reach your destination.

No comments: