Friday, January 15, 2010

The Power of Prayer

Reserving time each day to be quiet and meditate is an area of my life I am working to improve. I find that when I am concentrating on "to do" lists and priorities, I sometimes forget about time for prayer. Once in a while, when my eyes are closed and I am letting my brain slow down, a thought will interrupt my quiet time. It is usually a reminder about something I need to add to my list and I get distracted.

Prayer is the time you give yourself to connect with the Holy Spirit that is inside your soul. It is so powerful, that when it is done properly and regularly, you become the person you were created to be. It is the secret weapon that can overcome anything. It is the power that points your compass in the correct direction.

Many people only pray when they are in extreme danger. When things are going well, they stop praying. Their prayers become like yo-yos, going up when confronted with difficult times and down when times are good. Our Creator wants us to communicate with Him all the time. What parent feels good when their children only call because they need some laundry done. Keeping in touch regularly builds strong relationships.

If it has been a while since you have prayed, I am going to share my prayer for today with you because my prayers always include you, the reader of this daily blog:

"Dear Lord, thank you for giving me direction in my life. Thank you for sending your Holy Spirit to Guide me. I see another storm ahead and some of the people in the boat with me are fighting. They have their own ideas about which way to sail. They would prefer to avoid the storm. You are the captain and your compass is pointing west towards the sun (Son).

Like all the past storms, I have learned my most important lessons during these times. Please help me, Oh Lord, to learn how to sail this boat through the storm ahead. Send comfort to the people in the boat and give them hope that they will reach calm waters.

Please help each person in the boat to know how much you love them. Help us to work together so that all of us will reach our final destination safely. In your name, I pray. Amen."

The more you pray, the easier it gets. Make it part of your daily routine and see how your life transforms. Have a great day!

No comments: