Friday, January 29, 2010

Cynicism

Yesterday I wrote about the value of a smile. A smile can transform darkness into light. Cynicism can do the same thing only it has the opposite effect. One cynic can bring down the attitude of everyone around.

It is very tempting to join the crowd of cynics. All you have to do is bash others for not keeping their promises. Each leader that falls short adds fuel to our desire to jump on the band wagon of cynics.

I refuse to join the crowd of people who believe there is no hope. In this long season of winter that our entire country is facing, I put my faith in God to inspire people to rise above the despair and cynicism that is everywhere and make a difference.

People want change. They want change that will lead to having stronger families and a better quality of life. Cynicism will not help anyone reach their potential. We cannot give up. We must do our part to make the world better.

Here is the final request Conan O’Brien made during his last night hosting the Tonight Show:

“All I ask is one thing and I am asking this particularly of young people that watch…Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. For the record, it’s my least favorite quality. It doesn’t lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But, if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen. I’m telling you, amazing things will happen. I’m telling you, it’s just true.”

No comments: