Saturday, February 20, 2016

Why I'm a Fan of the Cash Envelope Method


The temptations to pull out that credit card are always there.  They appear out of nowhere, like the Borg from Star Trek, attacking innocent victims with their battle cry, "Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated!"  Maybe it's a good thing my TV is unplugged for six weeks.  There are no ads to pull me or the Mrs. off course to a debt free life.  We are moving ahead at warp speed and nothing will stop us.  My secret weapon is the envelope method.  If there's no cash in the envelope, there's no shopping. 

If you're serious about getting out of debt, consider the cash envelope method.  I use one for my vacation fund and set a savings goal before the vacation begins.  I use my credit card to book hotel rooms and plane tickets but pay them off with the cash in the envelope as soon as the bill arrives.  This keeps me out of debt.  Another envelope is used for emergencies.  If an emergency comes up, we tap the envelope and repay it quickly.  It works.  Try it.  Be careful not to touch the envelope for anything other than its designated purpose.  Your vacations will be more fun and your emergencies will be nothing more than minor inconveniences.  By the way, if you see any Borg-like salespeople in your life today, just tell them, "we will not be assimilated."  Your cash envelope is your best defense in the debt battle.  Have a great day. 

No comments: