Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Right, Left, Forward or U-turn – 4 Food Choices


"Your firefighter buddy says eggs are no good," my wife told me as I bit into my fried egg covered in mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, almonds and walnuts.  We're in the food debate together and she's reading Rip Esseltyn's book, "the Engine 2 Diet," during her lunch breaks to gain more information about nutrition.  Most of our conversations lately are about food.

For me, food choices are easier to make when I view my options the way Thomas Edison looked at light bulbs.  His detractors wanted him to give up because he was floundering.  He pushed forward, telling his naysayers, "I'm finding out what doesn't work."  His first 1,000 attempts helped him discover the right solution.

I know one thing for sure, there are no u-turns in my food pursuits.  My old choices would have ended up with "lights out" and I would have died prematurely.  That leaves three more uncharted choices – right, left or forward straight ahead.  I'm going to keep experimenting and keep researching.  As for eggs, I re-introduced them in my diet and I'm watching my cholesterol numbers to see if there are any changes.  I suspect the while Rip got a lot of things right in his book, he may have failed to grasp how the body handles outside cholesterol when it is digested.  There is so much to learn.  Just make sure you're not standing still when it comes to nutrition choices.  Get active.  Enjoy the journey, no matter what direction you decide to go.  Have a great day.

No comments: