Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Help Me Find It


I understand better than most what it means to leave your comfort zone behind.  I remember what it felt like to be a stranger in a sea of unrecognizable faces on my first day of high school.  The opportunity to make new friends outweighed my anxiety about being in unfamiliar surroundings.  The experience prepared me for my biggest test ever – a relocation to the Midwest from California.  Everyone in the family was ready for the experience except me.  I wanted to hold on to the status quo but it was really only a mirage that disappeared as soon as the economy went into a meltdown.  There was no bridge to burn.  All I could do was let go of my comfort zone and move on.

The biggest lesson I learned about change is God's perfect timing.  In fact, while penning today's story, the song Help Me Find It, by the Sidewalk Prophets, played on the radio.  The lyrics mimicked my own prayers for direction the day I left California in search of a new life.  God answered my prayer.  I have a new life.  The truth is, I never really left my comfort zone; I expanded it.  All three of our adult children are doing the same.  That's the lesson.  Don't be afraid.  See the world.  Explore.  And trust that there's a God who will be with you wherever you go.  Have a great day.  Here's the video from the Sidewalk Prophets...

No comments: