Sunday, November 8, 2015

Have You Booked Your Colonoscopy Yet?


My first colonoscopy is scheduled for next Friday the 13th.  According to my doctor's track record, he finds something in one out of four spelunking expeditions.  He'll be searching for colon polyps, abnormal growths sticking tight to the intestines that have the ability to turn into cancer if left unchecked.  Anyone over the age of 50 is considered at risk.  I'm five years late for the exam but my doctor told me not to worry about anything.  It takes years for polyps to transform into cancer and if he comes up empty, I won't need another exam for ten years.

The scariest thing to me about colonoscopies is not really the exam itself but what could happen if I have something inside my body that may eventually become cancer.  Those who refuse to get checked are the ones who may end up with much bigger challenges.  I'd rather prevent the problem now rather than take my chances later.

Do yourself a big favor.  If you haven't booked a colonoscopy and you're over fifty, make an appointment today.  Have a great day.

No comments: