Thursday, July 12, 2012

Why Love Matters

Amor vincit omnia -- Love Conquers All

My wife and I will be celebrating our 23rd anniversary in three days.  We are now living just five miles from her birthplace, also the location where we got married.  I've learned many lessons in the last twenty-three years of married life; the most important one is why love matters.  I consider it the single most important life lesson.  Here are some thoughts about why I think love matters:

  1. The love you give to another can forever change two lives-- yours and theirs.
  2. No matter what goes wrong in your life, love can get you through it.
  3. When you truly love another, it's impossible to hate.
  4. If you love others, you can get through any relationship issues, even when you don't like them.
  5. Jesus commands us to love others for a reason-- it's good for the soul.
I would like to add one final point about why I believe love matters.  Before I met my wife, I was a skeptic about love and marriage.  I put up all kinds of fences around my heart to avoid pain.  I felt the price of marriage was too high and felt it was better to go through life solo.  Then I met my future wife and discovered for the first time why love matters.  I'm alive. I'm free of my past negative attitudes about love.  And I'm loved.  It matters.  Love is the secret ingredient that makes everything taste better.  The fragrance of love fills my household.  I long to smell it and taste it when I'm away.  Yes, love matters.  A life without love is not a life, it's only an existence.  Taste it.  Smell it.  Feel it.  Live it.

No comments: