Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Walking the Plank

Once again, I find the waters splashing over the sides of the boat...some of it's passengers question the direction of the ship, others, the motives of the captain.  Some wish to throw a few team-mates overboard.  There are not enough life preservers.  Difficult choices confront the skipper and he must decide what is best for the good of all.

The last time I found myself in this situation, I volunteered to walk the plank.  The captain has always had my permission to toss me overboard should I not be able to carry my own weight.  This time, however, the short supplies have left us without even enough life jackets should anyone else be asked to depart.

The hard part about walking the plank is that some do not understand what it means to go "all in"... to sacrifice everything for the good of the team.  Should I be asked to "walk the plank", I first turn to those who challenge the captain with these words..."Father, forgive them, for they know not what they are doing."  I offer my life vest to anyone else that may also be asked to give up their seat in the boat, my strength and hope are in the Lord and I trust He will lead me to calm waters, whether I am in the boat or in the water....He is my life vest and I cling to Him in the storm.  May all who are in the boat with me stay calm.

No comments: