Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dealing with Stress

I want to begin today's message with a special welcome to my buddy, Tom, a blast from the past.  We were doubles team-mates in junior college and worked at the same resort teaching tennis.  We also entered the business world together. 

Tom, you were there during the ups and downs of life as young adults.  Much of the time period we shared helped me to become the person I am today.  I am thankful to be re-connecting with you and look forward to catching up.  There is a reason I withdrew and entered my own private cave.  You are one of the few from my past that knows the real pain I had deep inside my heart.  It will be a joy to share the "conversion experience" with you and with the world when I release my first book early next year.

Today's message is an important one.  It was inspired by something my wife shared with me this morning after we exchanged love letters.  She is reading about stress in Joyce Meyer's book, In Pursuit of Peace.  Joyce talks about stress, something many of us face in our difficult times.

Stress unchecked can lead to serious health issues.  I like what Joyce says about pushing ourselves beyond the point that God intended for us to go.  God has placed natural safety alarms in our bodies to warn us.  There are times when we need to hear the alarms clanging and respond with rest.  Failure to do this will get us in a lot of trouble.

If you are having trouble sleeping at night, have a feeling of being tied in knots, or simply cannot find a way to relax, chances are you are suffering the affects of stress.  My wife has found Joyce's book to be a relief.  I have found that the Bible is my source of solace.  Exercise and meditation are also helpful.

Do not let stress overtake you.  If your foot is on the accelerator and you never use the brake pedal, you are headed for danger.  The brakes are there for a purpose and you are in the marathon of life, not a sprint.  Pace yourself...

No comments: