Wednesday, July 14, 2010

African Missionaries Pay a Visit

One of my business partners got an opportunity to visit Africa a while ago with a group of Christians.  They were on a mission to see the "Ark of the Covenant", which is hidden away in one of the poorest and most remote places in Africa.  His trip was life-changing.  When he shared what he saw, I was deeply moved and promised to help him when we are successful.

Funny, how God works...His timing is so different from ours.  If I keep waiting until I am successful to help others, it will be too late.  One of my uncles sent me a book, the Hole in our Gospel, to read in my "spare" time.  After many months, I am only on page 181...there are still about 100 pages to go.  The book is on my night stand and I get in one or two pages between love letters, blog writing and working on my manuscript.  The author talks about his own life journey and it is profound reading.

When two female missionaries visited my church this last weekend, the reality of life in Africa really hit me hard.  I met with Sister Birungi Priscilla after her talk and got her email address.  She and her friend shared their message of hope.  For those in her community that suffer from leprosy, these missionaries are a bright light...they are the missing fingers, hands and limbs that hold babies when the parents cannot.  This is the Gospel in it's simplest and purest form.

When the missionaries were done with their talk, they offered us a song and dance from their native land.  There was a special exuberance that emanated from these spirit-filled people.  It is one thing to read about the situation in a place far away or hear stories from third parties.  These two missionaries are living in the center of poverty and they are relying on us to prevent sickness, starvation, and death.

The lesson I learned from their talks is that I cannot wait until I am more successful before helping others.  The time for action is now...for all of us.  If you would like to learn more about how these missionaries are changing lives, why not send an email today?  Your thoughts and prayers will go a long way...email address:  sisterbirungipriscilla@yahoo.ca.

No comments: