Thursday, September 30, 2021

Beyond the Finish Line

Today is my opportunity to dream a bit about what's beyond the finish line.  I do admit that the finish line ahead is the completion point of the most radical race I've ever run.  In order for me to be the person I was created to be, I must set new goals and think beyond the finish line.  Olympic athletes set certain goals for the big show and then fade into retirement.  Not me.  I do plan, with the grace of God, to keep working at my day job for another nine years.  This is solely because I have so much passion for the work I get to do. I also plan to keep writing until my mind no longer gives me the opportunity to do what I've grown to love over the years.

My ten year anniversary at my day job is now eight months away.  Longevity is rewarded with an additional week of vacation.  My plan is to use that time to add a series of three-day getaways and go on the road for short excursions with my bride of 32 years.  I want to explore the surrounding areas and stay in our own mini mobile home on wheels.  My plan is to build this vehicle on my own on my days off.  I know almost nothing about building but that's not stopping me.  My writing journey began with no knowledge of writing.  The naysayers argue that this shows in my stories but I really don't care what they say because I'm showing up every day, doing the work, and learning as I go.  Building a second home on wheels will be done using the same process I use to piece my stories together.  If Noah can build an arc with zero experience, I believe I can create something that will fit the two of us on our future adventures.  The reality for me is that the only finish line that will remove me from what I do on this planet is death.  If what I'm learning about my body has any validity, I may be around longer than most people who are simply following the American way of life.  Have a great day.

No comments: