Wednesday, September 29, 2021

It's a Game of Inches

Slowly but surely my last remaining debt is shrinking.   There is a debate amongst the financial gurus about retiring mortgage debt early vs. investing at a higher rate of return and carrying a balance.  They make good points.  What's missing from their debate is that great feeling you can obtain when you wake up and you're 100% financially independent.  I have never known this feeling personally although I often dream about how it feels.  All goals, big and small, offer some sense of satisfaction when they are achieved.  The journey itself towards the achievement of predetermined worthwhile goals is also immensely satisfying, especially when those goals are so stubborn that you may only advance an inch or two in an entire day.  That doesn't count the retreats that are sometimes necessary due to circumstances outside your control.

I'm getting close now.  What seemed impossible three years ago when I set the goal to be debt free is now within reach.  I modified habits.  I got control of my urge to spend beyond my means.  My wife and I got on the same page.  We made sacrifices.  I will share the details later when this mission is accomplished.  There are still some inches to win in the end game.  Stay tuned.  Have a great day.


No comments: