Sunday, September 2, 2012

Why Are We Divided?

I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought ~ 1 Corinthians 1:10


Long before we had children, my wife and I decided we would never argue in front of them.  We both witnessed broken families who suffered greatly because the parents were divided on important issues.  Children find a way to pit one parent against another so they can get their way.  We had one iron-clad rule in our home:  If one parent already said, "no," that was the final answer.  Asking the other parent to over-rule meant consequences.  My children knew they were busted if I asked them, "did your mother already decide about this?"

I wonder how the Creator feels about all the division in our world today.  The very definition of sin is being separated from God.  Satan is like a spoiled child who doesn't get his or her way and seeks to turn one group against the other in order to win others over to the dark side.  How can we love others when we despise their own belief system?

The novel I'm developing is about looking in the mirror.  It's so much easier for me to love others once I see all my own faults.  Jesus is the source of all religions.  Each faction has been created in His image.  The real challenge for us is to see Jesus in others, regardless of the label they put on themselves.  No matter how much division there is in the world today, there is one Bible verse that predicts what will happen:

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'" ~ Romans 14:11

No comments: