I don't know if I will ever be able to convince my atheist friends that there is a God. They believe everything is an accident. I believe our past offers clues pointing to the existence of a Supreme Being. Here's what I see when I look into the rear view mirror of my life:
- My dad received a Bible at the perfect time in his life. While scouring the pages, he found the keys to the gates of Heaven. He returned home to his family just in time to share his discovery before using the keys.
- Although my future is uncertain, looking in the rear view mirror reveals a clear direction. I see a connection to past generations of writers I was never aware of until recently. These ancestors on my father's side include my great-great-great grandfather, Captain James Starkey, contributor to Glimpses of the Nations Struggle. Starkey's son, Edward, married my great-great grandmother, Mary B. Kavanaugh, a poet and likely a descendent of Irish kings.
- On my mother's side of the family, there are generations of ancestors with unshakeable faith. Each ancestor carried the torch of the Holy Spirit in their hearts. Their main mission in life was to pass the torch. My mother's own daily prayers are for her children to take hold of the torch and share it with the world.
- The Evil One and his allies have used every dirty trick to thwart God's plans for my life. The forces of the dark side flee from my path each time I invoke the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
- God placed some very special people in my life for one purpose. It is best described in this verse: