Monday, September 3, 2012

What is Your Labor of Love?

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing ~ Matthew 6:3

This Labor Day may have different meanings to many Americans who are unemployed or under-employed.  For me, it's my first paid Holiday since starting my new job in my new home state.  During my transition, I maintained my daily commitment to my first labor of love -- blogging.

I have a new neighbor who left some tomatoes at my front door last month.  They are some of the best tomatoes I've ever tasted.  Maybe the extra flavor comes from knowing my neighbor performs his labor of love while dealing with cancer treatments.  When he isn't away for chemotherapy, I see him pushing a lawn mower for other neighbors.

A labor of love is productive work performed voluntarily without material reward or compensation.   I salute those around the world who tirelessly perform acts of service for others without seeking something in return.  On this Labor Day, I challenge you to actively pursue your labor of love.  Happy Labor Day.

No comments: