Friday, September 7, 2012

The Right Side of the Line

Doing the right thing can be costly.  The wrong thing is even more costly.  This week is the first week of our new fiscal year at work and my training has been intensive.  I'm awestruck by how much I don't know.  Life was easy when I was pretty much responsible for my own actions.  There is no room in my life for ignorance.  My number one job in this world is to coach my three children, my team at my workplace, and any reader who happens to find this blog.  These are the ideas I'm working on to help me stay on the right side of the line:

  1. Recognize that every person in your life is significant.  Treat others with dignity and respect regardless of how they treat you.
  2. Respect others no matter how different their views may be from your own.
  3. Avoid arguments, they only solidify your opponent's views.
  4. Do the right thing, no matter what the personal cost may be.
  5. Find the solution to every problem you face.
My dad taught me one very important lesson when I was a young boy.  He repeatedly said, "if you're gonna do it, do it right."  Those words burn in me every day.  Which side of the line are you going to live your life on?

No comments: