Monday, September 17, 2012

The Other Side of the Family Tree



Every family tree has unknown branches.  Some call them "mistakes."  Others call them "surprises."  I call them "missed opportunities."  Regardless of how the other side of the family tree was cut off, there are innocent family members who desire to learn about their roots.  I would like to personally thank the brave cousin from the other side of the family who found me and reached out to me here on this blog.  Her name will remain confidential, however, her story touches my heart.

During my ninety minute phone conversation with my long lost distant cousin last night, I became aware of a fight that happened generations ago.  As a result, there was a split and family members disavowed their connections.  After many years, a reconciliation was attempted.  Sadly, while the family members were driving in an RV to meet and mend fences, the RV caught fire resulting in death.  This branch of my family remained hidden for generations until yesterday when I spoke with a relative seeking her connection to the Mulligan family.  What a joy to connect with the other side of the family tree.

I will keep our conversation confidential just as I keep my own family and extended family out of public view unless permission is given.  Today's story is about reconciliation.  Don't let a past wound keep you injured.  Unlock the door of missed opportunities and greet all the surprises waiting to meet you.  Welcome them with open arms.  We all share a common heritage and each of us is created in the Maker's image.  No matter what branch of the tree we come from, what color our skin is, or what label of denomination we wear, we all belong to the Father.  We are His children.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” ~Deuteronomy 31:6



No comments: