Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Hello from the Unknown

 Hello.  I'm in the unknown today.  It's a bit like yesterday although that claustrophobic feeling I had is getting more tolerable.  It's like trying to understand the roadsigns but they're in Chinese.  Old dogs don't usually like new tricks.  When this old dog discovers his new MacBook Pro no longer has standard USP ports to plug into he gets confused.  The lights are off and I'm fumbling in the darkness.  This is where I want to be.  This is where the growth is.  The good news is I made my first video yesterday in a series called "5 Minutes with Mulligan."  It's raw, unedited, and rather invisible to the world today because the lights are still out.  

I remember having this feeling in high school.  I signed up for wood shop as a freshman because I thought it would be fun to build things.  It took a whole semester to kind of sort of build a box that my mom still has.  I really don't know what it is.  It doesn't even have hinges.  I didn't fail the class, probably because my wood shop teacher was also my tennis coach and I think he felt sorry about my lack of understanding in his class so he passed me...barely, maybe because I refused to give up.  That's where I am today.  I'm the guy who is going to figure out all this new technology so I can publish videos about my bloopers, blunders, and silly attempts to learn new tricks.  And if you made it this far in my story today, I'm offering you a sneak peak at what's ahead.  I'm going to convert a cargo van into a second home on wheels.  Here's the interesting part... I'm building boxes, lots of them.  That first experience in high school was rather lame but I'm going to build on that and if I ever figure out how to turn the light on in this unknown place where I happen to be today then I will consider the unknown to be a place of great learning.  This is where the opportunity is.  Forget going to the movies for entertainment.  Get yourself some popcorn and look for me on YouTube.  Here's a working title for the future..."Old dog who nearly failed high school wood shop attempts to build his own second home on wheels." Remember what one of my colleagues said about me yesterday?..."Michael tells stories while in a magical forest surrounded by magical creatures."  What he didn't tell you is that the lights are off and I can't see.  Today I will find the light switch.  It's all about progress.  Have a great day.

Editors Note:  Success!  "5 Minutes with Mulligan"  is now on YouTube.   Here is the link:

Link to "5 Minutes with Mulligan"

No comments: