Thursday, April 1, 2021

Prayers for Betty, Please

He was the high school quarterback.  She was the cheerleader.  These two lovebirds fell in love in high school.  I had the pleasure of meeting them on their 50th wedding anniversary when they stopped in at my day job.  I will never forget the gleam in Betty's eye when she looked at her husband while he told the story of their journey together.  I will never forget how they held hands.  Or when they shared a hotdog and a soda together while visiting.  Out of all the thousands of people I've encountered on this planet, this couple ranks number one in my heart.

Betty's husband stopped in yesterday and introduced me to his neighbor.  His demeanor changed when I asked about Betty.  The tears welled up in his eyes.  "She's in hospice," he said.  "It's the six month hospice."  

"Give her a hug from me," I said, offering the "COVID handshake" with an elbow bump.  "I'll be praying for her.  Today I ask you to take a moment and pray for the cheerleader and her husband, the quarterback.  May Betty be comforted as she finds the end zone of her amazing life.  Thank you both for sharing your beautiful life with me.  Have a great day.

No comments: