Saturday, April 10, 2021

Front Covers Under Construction

Game on.   I'm no longer a beached whale.  Ironically, I found the solution to my writer's block when I least expected it.  In fact, I wasn't even doing anything.  I was at the part of my morning meditation where you are allowed to go to sleep for 15 minutes.  Sometimes I do.  Other times I feel like I'm half sleeping, half dreaming.  Yesterday I felt like I was on a beach looking out at the ocean.  Suddenly ocean waves were crashing in on me.  Each wave carried an out-of-this-world spark of energy.  I stood up while in the dream state and scurried to scoop up these thoughts like precious seashells.  Somehow, my brain got some type of an upload.  When I came out of my meditation something was different.  The writer's block had been removed.  It was like a patient waking up after an emergency appendectomy.  I was a blind mouse who got his sight restored.  The writer's block was a sand castle that got washed away as the tide rose.

I don't know how creativity works.  If I could bottle up what happened to me yesterday and sell it, I would be a rich hombre.  All I can say is that both writing projects are front and center.  Wilson was mostly on the back burner this last year because of my fear of being sued for showing his copyrighted image on the front cover.  All other avenues had been exhausted including a letter to the CEO of the company that owns the rights to my buddy.  When I came out of my meditation I told my wife something happened during my "galaxy surfing."  I saw things I needed to see.  The first thing I did was open up my Scrivener writing software and create a blank page where I could lay out all my new seashells.  One of them, an idea for the front cover that would be immune to any threat of lawsuit for copyright violations.  I went to my day job early hoping to meet the guy I saw in my dream armed with something I scrawled out on a sheet of paper. He was the first person I met after I got inside the building.  John's eyes lit up when I shared my ideas.  When it was time for lunch he shared a rough draft that made my heart skip a beat.  He invited me to his studio to get started on the other cover.  Both writing projects are moving forward at full speed.  I'm super excited.  By the way, I will be sharing my seashell collection in the next couple of weeks as I get my thoughts sorted out.  Have a great day.

No comments: