Saturday, February 22, 2020

How I Stumbled into My New Life

Some of you have been with me on my blog journey for the entire ten year period.  One of my uncles told me how my mom's sister gets her morning coffee and sits down to read my stories as if it's some kind of long-distance sharing with her nephew.  A couple more of you shared that you've never missed a single message.  There are those mornings when I stare at a blank screen unsure of what I should share.  There's a part of me that wishes I could jump across the boundaries that exist because of privacy concerns from my family and my workplace.  Today I'm going to go a little further than my normal comfort zone allows because I want to share a moment with my mother that altered the course of my life.  My hope is that when she reads this story she will understand I'm sharing because I want my readers to experience how she inspired me to improve my life.

Last year I got an opportunity to spend some quiet time with my mother in the home where we grew up.  In the early sixties, we found ourselves surrounded by amazing neighbors and abundant playmates.  My mother is the last remaining resident of that time period.  We sat together in the front part of the house that was once a carport.  It has been converted into a comfy family room with a cozy place for mom to sit in front of her computer.  I asked my mother what she would like to do and she invited me to sit beside her and watch some of her favorite YouTube videos on her computer.  She especially likes watching Dr. Joe Dispenza.  The video we watched together was about getting over yourself and something about his ideas clicked inside of me so I jotted down his name and told my mother I was going to order one of his books, "Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself."  Well, I couldn't put the book down and ended up ordering a couple more.  Mom checked in with me and seemed thrilled about my willingness to try some of the ideas shared in the books.  These ideas are not mainstream and they may seem farfetched for a world that clings to what amounts to a reliving of the same daily routines.  Maybe I was ready to try something new.  After all, the caveman food experiment worked out really well and that experiment opened my mind for change.

If my tennis opponents read this, they may find my secret to my winning ways.  I happen to play on three tennis teams, the 18+, the 40+ and the 55+ and we have won state championships in multiple age group categories.  I am the second oldest at 59.5 and so far I'm not slowing down.  I'm using the meditation techniques in Dr. Dispenza's books to help me modify my thinking.  A second scientist who appeals to me is Dr. Caroline Leaf.  She uses scripture and science to show others how God works to enhance our lives.  She's been doing brain research for over thirty years and her ideas are changing our opinions about how our brains work.  She's a big believer in the 63-day rule, meaning if you want to change your brain and make something permanent, you need to stay with it for three full cycles of 21 days each.

I would like to thank my mother for inviting me to sit with her late last year and explore some new ideas.  Now that I'm well past Dr. Leaf's 63-day rule for making habits permanent, I can say with confidence that my morning meditations are a permanent lifestyle.  I'm now meditating for up to two hours a day with ease and plan to go even deeper in the near future.  Thank you, mom.  You're the best.  And special thanks to those who visit daily.  I can't wait to share my book projects with you.  Have a great day.

No comments: