Sunday, February 2, 2020

A Different Kind of Super Bowl Sunday

It's Super Bowl Sunday.  If you're here because you're curious about who I'm cheering for or you want to know about my perspective, you won't find anything similar to just about every other typical American who happens to be going through their traditional rituals today.  I'm not knocking them, they're just not for me.  I'm on a much different path.

TV no longer plays a major role in my life.  I cut the cable bill as part of a plan to live a debt-free lifestyle.  There were other reasons too, like cutting the influence others have in the political arena, especially during election cycles.  There are those who use their advertising dollars to try to convince me my body will need certain pills when I reach a particular age and I'd rather not allow their influence to invade my subconscious mind.  Since my favorite football team rarely makes it to the Super Bowl, my biggest interest was watching the commercials but now they no longer have any luster for my tastes so I'm not watching today's game.

What kind of Super Bowl Sunday am I having today?  It started with a walking meditation at sunrise. I listened to the sounds of ocean waves while I walked around in my basement sometimes pausing to stretch my body.  I closed my eyes and continued my meditation with something called the "blessing of the energy centers."  The ocean waves played in the background and my mind drifted to a secluded beach until the meditation was over.  While others prepare to attend super bowl parties, I will walk to my house of worship with my wife and we will thank God for all the blessings in our lives.  Then it will be off to my day job.  It's a different kind of Super Bowl Sunday but one that fits my off-the-beaten-path lifestyle.  Have a great day.

No comments: