Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veteran's Day




My father's ashes rest at Ft. Rosecrans. Like all of his brothers, he defended our freedom by serving in the military during the Korean war. He chose to be a marine. I loved hearing his stories. The day that we laid him to rest at Ft. Rosecrans, it was flag day. The huge flag pictured to the left was flying at half mast as we placed his urn in its final resting place. The large flag climbed all the way to the top of the flag pole. As I watched the flag ascend, I pictured my father's soul rising up to Heaven after saying good bye to all of us. It was a peaceful moment.

Ft. Rosecrans is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. It overlooks the ocean and there are large trees everywhere. As I look at all the gravestones throughout the cemetery, I think of all the brave men and women who made sacrifices for our freedom. Today is a federal holiday. It is time for all of us to slow down and remember our veterans.

I am planning on visiting Ft. Rosecrans today and I will say a special prayer for all the souls that rest there. I will also pray for all veterans and their families. If you see a vet today, show your appreciation. Happy Veteran's Day!

No comments: