Friday, November 27, 2009

Family Time

Yesterday morning, my daughter could not wait to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. She made her request earlier in the week and at 9:00 am sharp she was ready. During the parade, we gathered together to set up our Christmas tree and decorations. By the time the parade was over, our home had been transformed for Christmas.

My wife moved a special vase into our bedroom so that we could have room for our manger downstairs. On the front of the vase is a verse from Issiah 40:31 about hope..."But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles." This is the feeling I had inside of me as I was spending quality time with my wife and children. It is the Spirit of Christmas that all of us desire to have with us as we prepare for Jesus.

At the end of the parade, Santa Claus appeared. He was the final act in the three hour parade. The parade was fun and there was much nostalgia. I thought to myself that time is moving quickly and these moments will not last much longer. My children will grow up and be on their own.

When the parade was over, it was time to visit my sister and her friends for a Thanksgiving feast. Everyone at the table took turns sharing what they are thankful for. There is nothing better than to be out of the cave and connecting with family and friends. When it was my turn, I shared that I have never been more in love with my wife than I am now. She stood by me when I was in the darkness and the light of Jesus that shines inside of her is more visible than ever. It does not seem logical that someone can appear more beautiful as time passes, however, when you look at someone the way Jesus sees them, your blindness disappears.

During our conversation, my sister commented on someone close to the family. She talked about a gift this person has. It was strange to me that my sister recognized the gift even though the person is still completely unaware of it. This is why it is so important to unlock the door to your heart and invite Jesus in. Your vision of the world and the people around you changes. It is as if you can see with X-ray vision. You can see the beauty in others that maybe they cannot see. You can see yourself as the person you are created to be. You get the desire to come out of the cave and connect with the beautiful world around you. You appreciate family moments like watching the Macy's parade. When Santa Claus appears in the finale, instead of seeing someone dressed up in a red suit, you can see Jesus. Yes, He is the final act. He is the one with the real gifts...Faith, Hope and Love. He doesn't need a chimney to bring you these gifts. He is outside the door to your heart right now and I hear him knocking. All you have to do is unlock the door and let Him in...

1 comment:

Jim MIller said...

Belated Happy Thanksgiving!!!On target thoughts. The day is meant for reflection