Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wisdom

If a genie were to appear in front of you and offer you three wishes, what would you ask for? Would your wishes include a better job or improved health? Maybe you would like to see more money in your bank account? This is pretty much the same question that God asked Solomon and Solomon's answer pleased God. He only asked for one thing, wisdom.

There is an entire book in the Bible dedicated to wisdom. We don't need some kind of magical genie to acquire wisdom. We don't need to buy wisdom, it is free...we just need to ask for it (and EXPECT to receive it).

In my life, I started praying for wisdom as a teenager. I never asked for a lot of wisdom, just enough to face each day so I could deal with my challenges. Since I never really expected to be wise, this prayer was answered very slowly over three decades. The more wisdom I obtain, the more I realize just how far away I am from reaching higher levels of understanding.

The Book of Wisdom contains nineteen chapters. The first six are meant for our leaders. The next three teach us that true wisdom only comes from God and that you can obtain it through prayer and leading a good life. The last ten chapters show us the effects of wisdom.

If you are seeking wisdom, you will find it if you look in the right place. Why not start with the Book of Wisdom? Have a great day.

Wisdom 7:7 - Wherefore I wished, and understanding was given me: and I called upon God, and the spirit of wisdom came upon me.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

The Bible also says....The beginning of Wisdom is fear of the Lord.... That means humility on our part...reverance for God's almighty power!