Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Man in the Mirror

Sometimes, looking in the mirror is painful. The more I look in the mirror, the more I realize that I am the source of much of the conflict in my relationships with others. Like Michael Jackson says in his song, "the Man in the Mirror", change starts with looking in the mirror.

A long time ago, I received an email from a friend and it was full of pictures of what people around the world eat. Each picture showed a family surrounded by the food that they were going to eat for the week. It also showed the food bill. The first picture was your typical American family. It was loaded with soda, ice cream, pizza, etc, etc. The food bill was enormous.

The pictures went in descending order according to the dollars spent. The family from South America had a diet high in beans, rice, vegetables, and water. What struck me in the picture was all the smiling faces. The last picture was a family from Africa. Once again, everyone in the picture had an oversize smile. There were a couple of jugs of water and some rice. The food bill was smaller than what we spend on one night at a restaurant, for dessert!

What do you see when you look in the mirror? I am going to keep working on making changes in what I eat. It is easier to make better choices when I think about the children in the other countries that are wondering when they will get their next meal. I am also going to keep working on being more accepting of others. This is easy to do when I look in the mirror and see what needs to be changed. Have a great day.

No comments: