Monday, October 26, 2009

Role Models





I would like to send out a big thank you to my relatives for the invitation to the 50th anniversary celebration. It was so special to connect with all of you. The world is better because many of you have reached out and touched the lives of people around you. I am one of those people who have benefited from you.

Yesterday, one of my relatives noticed how much fun my daughter was having taking pictures of the party. She mentioned how important photography was to my grandfather and my daughter loved hearing about his passion. He had his own photography business and worked hard to support his family.

The first time I went to a 50th wedding anniversary celebration was for my grandparents on my mother's side. Yesterday, many of my relatives recalled just how special that day was. It seems rare these days to see couples stay together for life. We all need role models to show us how to make our marriages work.

I recall all the challenges my grandparents faced in their lives. First, my grandfather had to survive the Mexican Revolution. He came to this country prior to the depression and made a better life for himself and his siblings by working hard as a railroad worker before launching his photography business that covered two cities. He bought a house during the depression and made sure all four of his children received college educations.

When my grandmother discovered she had stomach cancer, they both stuck together through the challenging times. My grandmother lived a full life despite having two thirds of her stomach removed. She never complained even though she spent the rest of her life sleeping in a seated position. In fact, she is the most optimistic person I have ever known in my life.

When my first child was born, my grandmother gave me something she always carried around with her for inspiration. It is called "My Daily Bread". I never paid much attention to it until my "conversion experience". These days, my wife and I both read it regularly.

I am thankful for the many role models in my life. This blog is dedicated to all the people in our world that serve as role models for others. I want to acknowledge my grandparents on both sides of my family for all they have done. The photos above are of Victor and Mary Rubalcaba, my mother's parents. I know they were both smiling from Heaven yesterday as they watched their only son and his wife follow in their footsteps.

May your life be filled with great role models and may you also be a source of inspiration for others by living your life to its fullest potential. Have a great day.

No comments: