This is my favorite technique for improving my life. It makes all my obstacles look smaller and motivates me to stay laser focused on my goals. If you haven't read the post on "time targets", make sure to check it out. Here is how visualization works:
1. Pick an area of your life that you want to change. Now close your eyes and see yourself at a future moment with the change already accomplished. Lets say your ambition is to be an artist. In this scenario, see yourself in an art gallery. You are surrounded by beautiful paintings. People are all around you are admiring your work. You are living your dream.
2. Repeat this step every day when you wake up in the morning and when you go to bed at night. Make a mental note of everything you see in this future picture. Imagine yourself using the paint brush. Make this picture very, very detailed. You can "see" the paint brushes. You can see your new work area or studio. You can even see your paintings.
3. Be aware of all of the good things that start "falling out of the sky". It is as if the universe becomes aware of your goal and people and events start coming into your life to help turn your dream into a reality. You must act on every opportunity that comes your way.
4. Stop concentrating on the obstacles and instead picture yourself living your dream. Make this a game. See yourself in a future interview answering questions about how you conquered impossible roadblocks.
5. Write detailed notes of everything you see as you visualize your new life as an artist. Organize your notes into a "to do" list. Set aside time every day to work on your list.
In order to make visualization work, you must believe that this dream can happen. You must be willing to make sacrifices to accomplish your goal. Say no to the distractions and time wasters. Do one thing every day that brings you one step closer to living the dream you have already seen in your mental picture.
Whatever your dream is, get started today. I would love to get some feedback from you about the changes you have made using this technique. Maybe it will be an invitation to the gallery to see your paintings? Dream big and don't let the dream killers get in your way.
In case you need help with this new technique, look to positive people that believe in you. The following video clip shows how a good coach can help you overcome the obstacles you face. Remember the "miracle on ice"? It all started with a dream...Do you believe in your dream?