Friday, May 14, 2021

Aloha, Robbie – RIP

 Robbie Fox is my hero.  I didn't know him well as he was one grade behind me in grade school and high school.  There were only a small percentage of us from M.H.T. who attended SHS as most went on to Brophy or Xavier.  Robbie and I were on the same track.  When Robbie summoned his friends to visit him one last time I felt something in my heart that told me I needed to be there.  Robbie's wife, Gigi, his sweetheart from high school, is also in my circle of friends and I wanted to offer her some words of comfort.  The party was supposed to be a Robbie roast.  The irony here is we all got punked...by Robbie.  He didn't show.  Just before the fiesta began, Robbie fell and hurt his leg.  He stayed home.  We partied.  Over 200 friends showed up wearing their aloha shirts.  Well wishes were filmed.  Stories were told.  I flashed my "live long and prosper" sign to Robbie after signing his card.  It was a day I will never forget.

Yesterday I was saying a prayer for Robbie and Gigi during my first break of the day at my day job while soaking up some sun in front of a pond adjacent to the rear of our property.  I felt a cool breeze lightly touching my face while pulling out my cell phone.  The message I read came earlier than I anticipated.  One of Robbie's friends posted a message letting us know he's gone.  I felt a sting in my stomach.  Memories of friends and family who passed, some recently, flashed into my head.  They all finished the race.  As for Robbie, I must say that he exited with the outmost style and grace.  How thoughtful of him to throw a party for his friends before his departure so we could all show him we appreciate his time with us.  Aloha, Robbie.  May you rest in peace.  May Gigi be comforted at this difficult time.  May your family know how much we value your contributions to this world.  And may all who know and love you live long and prosper.  Have a great day, your first full day in Heaven.

No comments: