Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Review the Old Slate Before You Begin the New Year with a Clean Slate


Before you start your New Year with a clean slate, take a look at the past year and see what you can learn from it.  This is the best time to review what worked and what didn't.  Did you start 2015 with bold plans?  Were you consistent with your goals or did they fizzle?  How did you handle unexpected obstacles?  What are you going to do differently in 2016?


One of my biggest surprises this year was dealing with two major goals that didn't seem to get along with one another.  If these goals were singers, each had their own tune.  I couldn't find the harmony.  The rhythm was off.  It was like watching two dancers on the dance floor fighting over who should lead.  I'm referring to my life as a writer and as a person who desires to be healthy.  My challenge was that the more I wrote, the less I exercised.  I didn't realize how conflicted I was until I visited my siblings on a family vacation in late August.  That's when life got interesting.  The lesson I learned is that aligning your goals is like playing the piano.  When the left hand and the right hand cooperate, you can play beautiful music.  You can have an amazing life.  So that's what I'm doing in the New Year.  I'm building on the lessons I learned in 2015.  How about you?  Remember, you have a clean slate.  You already know how to create based on years of experience.  Use your favorite colors from your past and maybe mix in some new ones to paint your best picture ever in 2016.  Have a great day.

No comments: