Saturday, May 3, 2014

Why You Need To Stop Grading Your Life on a Curve

Would you rather be the big fish in a small pond or a little fish in a large pond?  This is a trick question.  It implies you're evaluating your life based on what all the other fish are doing.  It means you're grading your life on a curve.  It diminishes your own accomplishments and contributions.  Stop comparing yourself to others and decide today you're going to focus on being you.

Competitive people like to look at charts that measure performance.  They focus on rankings.  The challenge for these people is that no matter how much they accomplish or how well they perform, there is always someone better.  I found peace when I decided to focus my own competitiveness on one target – myself.  Every morning when I wake up, I ask myself, "how can I live up to my potential today?  How can I be better today than I was yesterday?"  This has nothing to do with the people around me.  My personal preference is to swim in a pool with fish who are striving to do better because these individuals inspire me.  Life is much more satisfying when you stop grading it on a curve and simply concentrate on being the best version of you that you can be.

No comments: