Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Is the Grass Really Greener on the Other Side of the Fence?


Even cows have trouble seeing the green grass on their side of the fence.  And their brains are far less complicated than our own.  So why is it we are constantly comparing ourselves to others?  Why does the grass always look greener on the other side of the fence?  I have a theory about this.  We want what we can't have.  Mick Jagger first sang "Can't get no satisfaction" when I was five years old.  Nearly a half century later the poor guy's still singing the same song.  He's seventy years old.  He's a great-grandfather.  He's been knighted.  And he's still singing, "Can't get no satisfaction."  I know what's missing.  I found where the greenest grass grows.  It's in my own back yard.  The rec center is adjacent to my property.  It has acres and acres of green grass, too.  I prefer to live on my side of the boundary line.  My son can mow our 1/4 acre in minutes.  My neighbor spends hours mowing his green grass.  No thanks.  I'd rather spend my time doing the things I was created to do, like writing daily and spending time with my family.  I'm satisfied.  I don't want to trade places with anybody.  I don't want what I can't have.  I appreciate what I have and I thank God He shows me where my boundaries are.  That's my theory about green grass.  What's yours?  Is the grass really greener on the other side of the fence?

No comments: