Wednesday, May 28, 2014

How to Win the Blame Game



Most people I know never win the blame game.  They don't understand the rules.  I admit it took me decades to figure out how to win.   It has many similarities to the game of chess.  There are patterns and strategies.  In chess, you know the game is over when someone's king is defeated.  In the blame game,  neither side is likely to admit defeat.  The game goes on and on, sometimes passed on to future generations.  Here are some examples:
  • "I'm unemployed because the economy stinks.  All the good jobs got shipped overseas."
  • "I'm in this mess because I married a loser."
  • "My dog pees in the house because it's stupid."
  • "I don't have any friends because no one wants to listen to all my problems."
  • "I didn't get the promotion because the boss plays favorites."
  • "It's my parents fault.  They didn't send me to the right school."
Are you ready to win the blame game?  I'll share the secret to my success.  I looked in the mirror.  Yep.  I found the person responsible.  I stopped blaming my dog for peeing in the house and learned how to properly train her.  I stopped dumping all my problems on my friends and started listening to them share theirs.  I stopped blaming my parents for anything that went wrong in my childhood.  When my work situation was below my expectations, I went out and started my own business.  And when the business climate declined, I moved to a place filled with new opportunities.  My wife could have said, "we're in this mess because I married a loser." Instead, she chose to bite her tongue while she silently prayed.  When my children come to me with a problem, I ask "how are you going to solve it?"

You can master the blame game today.  Remember to point your finger at the man in the mirror.  Please share your results in the comment section below.   If you know someone who could benefit from today's story, please share it.  Thanks for visiting.

No comments: