Saturday, December 8, 2012

Underground Connections

For five bucks, you can take a car load of friends to Colossal Cave in Tucson, Arizona for a one-half mile guided tour.  And if you have underground connections, you can enter from a secret spot known as the "rabbit hole" for free.  Supposedly, there are approximately 39 miles of underground tunnels connected to Colossal Cave.

My spelunking experiences during college with my buddy from a rival university revealed a whole new world off the beaten path.  He taught me how to repel into secret caves known only to cave explorer insiders.  We explored miles of stalactites and stalagmites using candles to mark our trails.  These cave travels inspired me to call myself the caveman once I discovered I was a writer.

My wife treasures a photo from one of our first Halloween celebrations together where we dressed in caveman outfits.  That photo will have to remain "underground" due to privacy restrictions.  What I will share is a story about two characters who are connected to one another by their own life experiences.  They are both cave dwellers who discover the meaning of life.  The Caveman in the Mirror will be released in less than one hundred days.  Stay tuned for the rest of the story.

If you are interested in cave exploration, I recommend you check out Colossal Cave in Arizona.  It's not far from Tombstone and Bisbee, the place where my dad wrote his first book.  And if you are inspired to go deeper, join an underground connection, the National Speleological Society.

No comments: