Sunday, December 9, 2012

Joy Without the Comfort


When my wife woke up this morning, she blurted, "comfort and joy."  Christmas melodies were dancing in her head.  I saw different images in my head -- homeless men with no shoes, friends who are missing the spirit of Christmas, and loved ones who are struggling to make ends meet.  Then a thought hit me, is it possible to have joy when you have no comfort?  Here is what popped into my head:
  1. Joy is not limited to being thankful when life is comfortable, joy is a state of mind you take with you when you leave the comfort zone.
  2. Homeless men with no shoes give joy to those who provide them with comfort.
  3. No matter how little you have, joy can be found when you find something of yourself to give.
Don't worry about being comfortable today, focus on being joyful.  I promise to do the same.  The temperature outside today is below freezing -- a tad-bit uncomfortable for a California transplant.  I will think about the joy my family will have as we experience a White Christmas for the first time in our new Iowa home.

I am acting with great boldness toward you; I have great pride in you; I am filled with comfort. In all our affliction, I am overflowing with joy. ~ 2 Corinthians 7:4

No comments: