Friday, December 7, 2012

A River of Blessings

Why is it in our nature to build dams when Heaven wants to send us a river of blessings?  I remember looking up in awe at Hoover Dam, photographed above, while on a camping trip with my best friend.  The dam is under 24 hour surveillance to keep it protected from anyone trying to tamper with it.  Sometimes, we act as our own body guards.  We watch over the dams we built during our lifetimes and never let the blessings flow because we are afraid what will happen if the dam bursts.

Here are some signs you are blocking the river of blessings from Heaven:
  1. You are afraid to love.
  2. You are afraid to forgive.
  3. You are afraid to invite Jesus into your heart.
  4. You fear acknowledging there is a greater power than yourself.
  5. You place more value on the dam than the river.
  6. You feel you are not worthy of blessings from Heaven.
  7. You fear you may drown if the dam bursts.
  8. You only know the comfort of the dam and you are afraid what will happen if it disappears.
  9. You have trust issues.
  10. You are afraid if the dam bursts you will never be able to rebuild it.
I was guilty of all ten items listed above.  I was also stubborn.  The more others tried to blow up my dam, the more defensive I became.  I only saw my dam as protection.  The problem with this view is that you miss out on a life that can be extraordinary.

Go ahead.  Let the dam burst.  Allow the river of blessings to flow.  Ride those stage five rapids through the canyons and turn your stagnant life into something extraordinary.

"Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them." ~ John 7:38




No comments: