Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Putting My Marketing Talents To Work In Iowa



The job search in my new home state of Iowa is over.  I wanted to join a company or institution where my communications skills could be utilized.  When I found out they were hiring outside marketing reps to introduce Costco to the Iowa City area, I immediately applied and got an interview the following day.  Within one week, I completed the three interview process and was offered a job.  Although the store does not officially open until June 27, my orientation began Monday and I'm thankful to be part of the first group of employees on the payroll.

The marketing team headed to West Des Moines for an eight hour day early yesterday morning at the only other Costco in Iowa and we are meeting again today with upper management at the Marriott in Coralville.  I'm making new friends who are excited to help spread the word about our new employer.  Most people in the area have never set foot in a Costco.  I can't wait to see the look on their faces when we have our Grand Opening in five weeks.

For those of you who have been praying for our family to find jobs, I extend my thanks.  I'm still on the list of candidates for a writing job at the University of Iowa, however, the process is a long one and the search committee may not make a decision for months.  I'm happy to join a company that treats their employees like family.  The benefits are also out of this world and the management staff top-notch.

Before I sign off for the day, I wanted to share my fondest memory of Costco.  When the general manager asked me if I had any questions or comments in my final interview, this is the Costco memory that sealed the deal...

It was August, 1995 and my wife asked me to follow her to the Christmas section at the Costco on Carmel Mountain Road in Rancho Bernardo.  I was surprised to see the Christmas items out in the summer.

"Look," she said while holding up a crystal ball with a family of five and a couple of pet dogs inside.  She wound up the music box and shook the globe.  Snow was falling.  The music played "I'll Be Home For Christmas."

With puppy dog eyes and her lower lip pushed out, she asked, "Can we please go to Iowa this Christmas?"  There was no way I could say no.  We purchased two crystal balls and went home, promising not to tell anyone about our plans to visit her family just two days before Christmas.

We sneaked into her dad's home and placed the gift on his kitchen table.  Helen's sister waited for their dad to come home while we crept up the stairs and hid.  When Spike got home, Margaret instructed him to open the gift.  He couldn't understand why he was unwrapping it early.  While the music played and he stared into the globe, we sprung out and yelled, "Merry Christmas."

After I shared my story about my first white Christmas in Iowa, the general manager looked into my eyes with a smile and said, "you're hired."

Do you have a memory to share of your job hiring process?  Please leave your comments below.

No comments: