Thursday, May 10, 2012

10 Steps to Frugalize My Life



The first step to solving a problem is to admit you have one.  My spending appetite has always exceeded my income.  A little over a year ago I publicly declared I would go on a spending fast.  I cut up all but two credit cards to be used in emergencies.  I decided to frugalize my life.  This is a painful process.  I have a long way to go.  Here are some things I'm doing differently to live within my means:

  1. I pay cash for everything.
  2. I sold my California home.
  3. I traded my skills as a tennis instructor for a used Honda.
  4. I stopped buying things I want but don't need.
  5. I told my friends I'm on a spending fast and can't afford to eat out.
  6. I shop at garage sales and second-hand stores.
  7. I decided not to set up internet in my home due to the high monthly fees.
  8. My entertainment budget is $1.33 per day.
  9. I sign up for internet specials with all the companies I do business with.
  10. I tell myself every day I'm getting better at managing my money.
One year of frugalizing is only 2% of my years on earth.  This is only a small step in a long journey.  I feel like an overweight competitor on the biggest loser who wants to shed pounds.  My pounds are measured in unnecessary bills which must be cut if I'm to have any chance at getting control of my finances.  My hope is that my own willingness to stare my problems in the eye and attack them will inspire you to make a change in your life for the better.  Please add your thoughts if you would like to share.

No comments: